6 Ways to Experience Historic Peanut Island
POSTED ON May 25, 2016 - 5000 North Ocean
Peanut Island has been a favorite spot for Palm Beach locals for many years. Located at the mouth of the Lake Worth Inlet, this 80-acre tropical island attracts explorers of every type. The crystal clear water that surrounds the island invites snorkelers and swimmers, while the brick pathways that circle the island attract the nature seekers and the historic features of the island attract history buffs. Check out these top ways to experience Peanut Island:
- Snorkeling- The Island’s good snorkeling is a direct result of the Gulf Stream, which comes closest to the U.S. mainland near the Lake Worth inlet. Twice a day, with the incoming tide, the Stream flushes Lake Worth with clear, warm Caribbean waters. The best time to see the colorful fish is an hour-2 hours before the high tide to approx 2 hours after the time of high tide.
- History Tours- During the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Seabees secretly, and very quickly built a bunker for President Kennedy, who spent a great deal of time at the Kennedy Compound in Palm Beach. Visitors can venture back in time and tour the Kennedy Bunker as well as the maritime museum in the Coast Guard station.
- Boating- The Island is a magnet for boaters who moor around its perimeter and socialize in the shallow, sandy-bottom water that extends out into the Intracoastal. The island has 14 boat slips to tie up and walk around. Thereâs even a pizza boat you can reach only by water if youâre hungry for lunch.
- Kayak and Paddleboard- Guests are given some brief instruction on basic paddling skills from one of the many rental businesses such as Paddle Boarding Palm Beach or the Riviera Beach Marina, and then hit the water for an enjoyable trip across the tranquil waters of Lake Worth Lagoon.
- Water Taxi- Palm Beach Water Taxi and Captain Joe’s Peanut Island Ferry provide daily round trips to the island. Easy and convenient, all you have to do is enjoy the breeze. Once on the island, enjoy a day at the beach among the tropical landscaping of coconut palms, Sabal palms, and sea grapes.
- Picnic- The Island has a number of tables and grills for a picnic outing. Bring a basket of prepared goodies or set up a BBQ with family and friends. After lunch, the pedestrian pathways are ideal for relaxing strolls around the island.
For those who fall in love with the rich history and beautiful natural setting of the area, thereâs a new address nearby ready to welcome you to the Palm Beach County shoreline. Be among the first to discover this unprecedented coastal lifestyle, highlighted by Tropical Modern Architecture on Singer Island. Kolter, an industry leading developer with successful communities throughout South Florida, is offering this newly released luxury oceanfront condominium. 5000 North Ocean is setting a new standard of design with expansive walls of glass, spacious oceanfront terraces, and unrivaled east and west waterfront views. Click here for a preview of the exciting residential designs.